Saturday, May 26, 2007

My first week!

I have been in Romania for offically one week today! It is a beautiful country and I am having a blast. My host family is very nice and and cannot speak a word of english, except for "cool!" You can imagine our conversation the first night! The wife makes food 24/7 and the food is amazing. The meals consist of a lot of meats, potatos, tomatos, cheese, garlic, meats, cheese, bread and did I mention meat & cheese. They live in a huge apartment bloc left over from the communist era. The apartment itself is very small, yet very comfortable and very clean. I am able to walk to my training site, where I have four hours of language training in the morning and then fours of cultural training in the afternoon. The training site is a middle school where the Peace Corps has rented a bunch of rooms from them. Many of the kids in the hallways speak excellent english and are always saying "Hello" or "whats up." My Romanian is coming along but I still have a long way to go. Despite being an eight hour flight away from America there is a McDonalds & KFC right in town...one difference the KFC over here has a garlic mustard sauce that is to die for that is not in America. All of the youngsters in town dress very similar to the younsters in America and a normal pair of Levis are $250 over here! American pop music is everywhere over here...Akon & Nelly Furtado seem to be the favorites. There are plenty of internet cafes in town so computer access is not a problem at all. I will be here for the next 9 weeks so pleace keep in touch! Peace & Love

Nuroc - Alexandru

2 comments:

Unknown said...

$250 bucks for some Levi's huh?? Thye must be vintage! hahah. Sounds like all is well man, good to know. You better be running and doing some yoga too, sounds like all that meat, cheese, potatoes, and meat and cheese is going to go straight to your ass! Miss you man.

Anonymous said...

We miss you!